May 4th-8th, 2015 is National Small Business Week! We think every week is a good week to celebrate and support Small Business, but this year, we want to use it as a megaphone to thank you. You’ve supported Here We Go Again Deluxe Resale Boutique (hwga) since 1992. We’re now in our 24th year of providing our consignors with a friendly, convenient way to recycle their closets; and our shoppers a fun, supportive boutique atmosphere to find new-to-them treasures, designer consignment and a few laughs from time to time. You’re pretty special to us and we appreciate your loyalty, your friendship and your patronage.
Here are some interesting facts about the role small businesses play in our community:
- 68% of the dollars you spend at a local business stays in the community. Our taxes help pay for fire & rescue and police.
- Small businesses create and keep more local jobs in our city.
- Portland’s neighborhoods are kept unique and colorful by the presence of local boutiques, services and restaurants.
- Small businesses donate to local causes at more than twice the rate of national chain businesses.
- Local businesses require less fuel for transport and use less packaging, thus creating a smaller footprint than non-local options.
At hwga, we’re rather proud of our role in creating livable, walkable neighborhoods and adding some of the color and personality that makes Portland such a mecca for visitors; and a place known literally around the world.
Locally, hwga is a member of our neighborhood business associations, working to boost awareness of all the features, diversity and benefits of our districts. Venture Portland, which provides support to the FIFTY Portland business districts, is a big supporter of Portland Small Businesses and provides grants to help districts get started and develop. According to Venture Portland, our neighborhood business districts contain 19,000 businesses, which provide 250,000 jobs. 98% of Portland’s neighborhood businesses have 5 employees or fewer!
While we may just be a small resale boutique in a couple small neighborhoods, we’re part of the crazy quilt of small businesses that make Portland special. Supporting local businesses benefits our city, our employees, and the environment. Thank you so much for supporting us!
If you use social media this week, help us spread the word by using the hashtag – #PledgeLocalPDX